Welcome to the twenty-fifth installment of the EVE Blog Banter, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week or so to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check for other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
This month’s topic comes to us from @Tetraetc – “Tetra’s EVE Blog” – who asks: “Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? Imagine a Null Sec where anyone could build outposts wherever. Would the reduction of the alliance game mechanic, and the removal of the sovereignty game mechanics (or the modifcation of it from Alliance level to Corp level for that matter) force more PVP into Null sec, or would giant power blocs like the NC still form themselves?”
I would like to open my banter with; I am in no way, shape or form qualified to discuss how Alliances and Sovereignty are affecting PvP in Null-sec.
That being said, it is time for my opinion.
I say that some what jokingly as I read a fair number of blogs of pilots who’s primary lives are in null-sec. They seem to talk about rich viens of PvP out there in the wilder regions. An experience with ebb and flow, that changes with the seasons (literally).
Now there are over 5,000 solar systems in the Known EvE space (excluding wormhole, CCP & Jove space) and over 3,000 of those systems are designated null-sec. Over 60% of EvE is “lawless” space and yet the least number of players live there.
I would have to say that if anything is impacting the magnetude of PvP in null-sec it would have to be the amount of space per player that is out there. 3,000 systems in null-sec and on average only 10,000 players on at one time.
Granted we can’t put an average to something like this as we all know that players are not evenly dispersed throughout null-sec and the average number of players makes no difference if there is ever a moment that hosts 25 or 30 thousand players; which has happened.
Players move to null-sec for no-holds-bard PvP, which is what I have been reading about. It seems to be alive an well out there; turning out fantastic and mundane stories every day. Stories of individuals fighting other individuals or taking on small groups through medium sized groups pounding on each other up to the largest battles ever recorded in EvE (probably in any mmo).
Example: Aggressive Tendencies
To give you the short answer to your question; Do I think Alliance and/or Sovereignty is(are) affecting PvP out in our wayward big brother that is null-sec?
Role Playing on the other hand is something that I won’t even begin to talk about as it is something that I just do not participate in; I had a bad experience once… I don’t want to talk about it.
- CrazyKinux’s Musing: EVE Blog Banter #25: And by Alliance you mean…..?
- BB25 What sov changes will come? | A Mule In EvE
- Confessions of a Closet Carebear: Alliances and Sovereignty
- Blog Banter 25: Nerfing Nulsec « OMG! You’re a Chick?!
- Have Alliances and the sovereignty system limited the amount of PVP and RP potential in Null sec? | Nitpickin’s
- Blog Banter #25: Alliance and Sovereignty Limiting PvP in 0.0? | Sarnel Binora’s Blog
- Blog Banter #25 – Mad Haberdashers
- Alliances and sovereignty | Eve Online Focus
- …Shall we not Revenge?: BB 25: What if the Alliance vanished?
- Blog Banter: Alliances and Sov
- EVEOGANDA: BB25: Sov ‘n Go!
- » TBG:EBB#25 – Alliances and Sovereignty To Boldly Go
- Freebooted: BB25: Leviathans of the Deep
- Wrong Game Tetra ~ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- EVE Blog Banter #25 – Human nature what art thou? | Way of the Gun
- Who cares about Sov? – Hands Off, My Loots! ~ well sorta like an entry! :p
- The 25th EVE Blog Banter: Alliances and sovereignty – The Phoenix Diaries
- Achernar: The space commute
- Wandering the Void…my EvE musings. – Blog Banter: Alliances and sovereignty
- (OOC) CK’s Blog Banter #25: How To Break EvE. « Prano’s Journey
- Captain Serenity: Blog Banter #25 – Crappy mechanics
- Helicity Boson » Blog Banter #25 Nullsec and sov.
- BB #25 – “With whom lie the advantages derived from Heaven and Earth?”
- Boom! Hull-Shot?: It’s the End of the Eve as We Know It
- sered’s lives: EVE Blog Banter #25 – Size does matter
- 25th EVE BB – Medieval Solutions to Spaceship Problems | Inventions of a New Eden Industrialist
- Eve Blog Banter #25: “Have Alliances and Sov Limited PvP and RP in 0.0?” « Align Outbound
- Banter 25: Sovereignty, Alliances and Power Blocs | TheElitist
- Blog Banter 25 – But I just left all that! « A Scientist’s Life in Eve
- Nobody likes losing « One capsuleer against all
- >>>Vigil Ant: Alliances and SOV by Munny’s eyes.
- Latro’s Bunker: Blog Banter 25 -Nullsec and Sov
- A “CareBears” Journey » Blog Banner #25: Alliances and Sovereignty, and their affect on PVP and RP
- Blog Banter #25 – Unstoppable « Roc’s Ramblings
- Nobody likes losing « One capsuleer against all
- EVE Blog Banter on PVP in Null Sec « Evehermit’s Blog
- Sleepless in Space: Blog Banter #25: Moar Low Sec!
- More to come…