Planetary Interaction Update:
Over the weekend I was able to play around a bit with the new Planetary Interaction (PI) system. I have to admit, my first impression of the system was that it had far more quirks than the old system. Some of the things that I’ve noticed are as follows:
- Each planets interaction seemed to use more power than it had in the past.
- Each successive program completion yielded lower resources than the last in the same time frame.
- Re-starting the extractors took less clicky clicky
- However each extractor restart took more time to balance
- The rate of extraction per hour over the period of the program seems to change after the “install program” button is clicked.
Number one: With the first system I was able to maintain a relatively balanced number of extractors to processors. Meaning, ideally, my extractors would remove from the planet the exact amount that the processors could handle during one cycle. I the real scheme of things it’s impossible to get the two to exactly match each other. I aimed to get close though; typically I would extract a bit more than what the processors could handle and just let it build up in a warehouse or launch pad and the processors would take care of it later.
My issue with the new system is that for the same extraction period I had to reduce my number of processors by one to accommodate an additional extraction head. The extractor control unit plus the extractors themselves were using more power than they used to. This is somewhat frustrating; Number two is also frustrating but it somewhat explains my extraction issues.
Number two: Without changing the extraction period, locations of the heads or the number of the heads; the total units extracted is reduced from period to period. It makes sense that such a thing would happen as no one location as infinite resources to be removed but the change is quite significant. To balance out my system I needed to reduce my extraction period from 26 hours to 18 hours.
Number three: To simply restart the extraction process it’s just a couple clicks for each planet and they are back up and running.
Number four: Restarting the extractors is easy but making sure the system is balanced is very important to me. Sometimes it can take a little while to move extractor heads and play with the extraction period to get things to where you want them to be. If an area becomes depleted then moving the entire operation to a new location on the planet is a very time consuming and click intensive process.
Number five: More often than not, once I have a system balanced and I click the “Install Program” button then the “Submit” button the total extraction rate per hour changes. I first noticed this when I was checking a planets launch pad container as I forgot to calculate my fill rate (Story for another day) and not all of the processors were operating; I brought up the extraction program screen and sure enough, the total extraction rate was several thousand lower than what it was when I had left it. On another occasion my launch pad container was much fuller than it should have been so again I checked the extraction program screen and the extraction rate was several thousand higher than it should have been. Granted that was a better situation than the former but still not ideal.
After these two observations I started checking all of my planets at some point in the period to see what was happening and low and behold most of them were off. Not as much as the two examples above but still off.
Conclusion: The five points mentioned above are the only parts of the system that I can remember at this current time and I realize that it sounds like a lot of complaining; but, I actually like the new system much better than the old one. Does it have it quirks? Sure it does! But so did the old one.
The new system provided much great flexibility to the individual and their time frame as you can set and tailor your PI to work on your time scale as opposed to the other way around.
The Other Stuff Update:
I was reading about scanning the other day and during that process and some experimentation, I found out that the D-Scanner isn’t dependent upon the direction the ship is point but were your field of view is pointing. This explains sooo much. I had all but given up on D-scan for anything other than 360 degree scanning as I know now that I’ve been doing it wrong; or at the very lease using it poorly.
Global Criminal Timer (GCT): something else I tried for the first time this weekend was to see what it would take to smash a POS. As I was in low-sec I wasn’t worried about the GCT as Concord doesn’t operate in low-sec. I was by my-self during this operation as it was just an experiment; I found an offline POS with a several million worth of stuff anchored around it. I targeted the control tower and started to fire. A message popped up on the screen and I read it three times to make sure I was reading it correctly. It specifically said that I would be attacked if I returned to high-sec while the GCT was active. Thinking I was in the clear I clicked ok and started firing for real. After about half an hour of less head way than I thought that I would make I gave up. I resigned myself to the fact that I would need help to bust up POS’s. I need to log so I selected the nearest station and hit dock, when I landed on that station, my permission to dock was denied as I was a criminal. Suck, but oh well. I selected a safe spot and started to fly towards it. Before I could align and warp, I popped. The stations guns got me… so much for only being attacked if I return to high-sec.
Lesson learned. Hard learned.